Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Pancake Tuesday

According to Wikipedia today is commonly known as Pancake Tuesday or Pancake Day in the UK, New Zealand, Australia, Ireland and Canada.  I've never heard it called that here and didn't know it was a thing until I started reading UK cooking magazines.

It will always be Fat Tuesday or Shrove Tuesday (if I'm talking to my mother).  But we will have pancakes, or possibly crepes for dinner.

(I also just found out that Fat Tuesday is literally Mardi gras in French.  Guess that one semester of high school French didn't stick, but now that I know it's So. Obvious.)

As is my custom I'm going to be giving up stuff for Lent.  Last year I gave up coffee and haven't looked back.  This year will be:

- Alcohol on weekdays (bye bye dinner glass of wine)
- Sugar in my tea
- Scones or other bakery products for breakfast

The sugar and scones are getting to be too much of a habit so I'd like to kick that one for good.  The booze....well, let's just say that I'm going to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment